The following resources have been culled through feedback with other nonprofits and community organizations to give a broader sense of how the provincial budget will affect the various subsectors. Articles are in reverse-chronological order (i.e. the higher the number, the more recent the resource):
1. Economist Hugh Mackenzie analyzes Ontario’s current fiscal situation and proposes a way forward – without austerity. Read the full report, Ontario’s Fiscal Reality: Glass Half Empty or Half Full?
2. Economist Jim Stanford’s take can now be viewed on video here.
3. Income Security Advocacy Centre’s initial analysis of what Ontario’s 2012 Budget means for people on social assistance. Click here
4. Ontario Campaign 2000 warns that the changes to social assistance rates and benefits will negatively impact the Poverty Reduction Strategy and the commitment to reducing child poverty by 2013. Click here
5. Economist Hugh Mackenzie for the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, “Completing the Job Started by Mike Harris.”
6. Wellesley Institute, “Ontario Budget 2012: Duncan chooses path that hurts the poorest Ontarians.”
7. Wellesley Institute on implications for housing, “Ontario Budget 2012 continues erosion of affordable housing investments.”
9. Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario, “Education Premier” fails students in Budget 2012
10. Ontario Literacy Coalition, “2012 Budget Focuses on Continued Integration of Employment and Training Services.”
12. Health Providers Against Poverty Warns Today’s Austerity Budget will Cost Ontario by Worsening the Health of Ontario’s Most Vulnerable. Click here
13. Nurses condemn attack on vulnerable persons to rein in spending. Click here
14. CUPE/SCFP, “Ontario needs a recovery budget, not a poverty budget.”
15. Society of Energy Professionals Respond to Duncan Budget. Click here
16. Ontario Council of Hospital Unions. Click here
19. Ontario Federation of Labour: Ontario Budget delivers billions to bankers but job loss and deep cuts for Ontario Families. Click here.
20. Elementary Teachers’ Federation, “Austerity budget punishing Ontarians for a deficit they didn’t create…”
21. Erin Weir for United Steelworkers, “Ontario Budget Emulates Drummond.”
22. Counsel Public Affairs, “Austerity Budget Sets the Stage for Showdowns with Unions, Opposition Parties.”
23. Sustain Ontario, Ontario’s Budget for 2012: What does it mean for Healthy Food and Farming?
24. Miller Thompson Lawyers, “Budget Introduces New Rules Regarding Political Activities by Registered Charities“
25. Marcel Lauzière, “If Charities Take Foreign Money, So What?“
27. Tonda MacCharles, The Star, “Poll Challenges View that Canadians Oppose Higher Taxes.”
28. Ed Broadbent, The Star, “Broadbent Poll Uncovers Public Desire to Close Inequality Gap.”
29. Grant and Blackwell, Globe and Mail, “The Widening Gap in Canada’s Labour Market.”
30. Mennonite Central Committee on fiscal fairness, “MCCO Writes to Provincial Government”
31. Ontario Museum Association, “Budget 2012: What it Means for Ontario Culture.”
32. Algoma Presbytery, “Ontario Budget is Deeply Disappointing…”
33. Alzheimer Society Ontario, “Positive Steps for Alzheimer’s Patients…”